Weekly Crew Change Agreement
Canadian Pacific Railway
Teamsters Canada Rail Conference
Governing Weekly Placement Procedures
at Red Deer Terminal
1) No Collective Agreement, Local Rules or Decision Rules are modified or altered by this Local Agreement.
2) These procedures are designed to minimise mid-week displacements and consequently provide employees a more stable work place.
3) A weekly crew change will take place each Sunday at 2201 to be effective 0001 Monday governing:
i) Establishment of or reduction to the number of regular assignments.
ii) Adjustments to the pools.
iii) Adjustments to the spare board.
iv) Movement to or from permanent or temporary vacancies.
2) All regular assignments, temporary vacancies existing or known to be for six consecutive days or more for Conductors/Trainpersons and for seven days for Locomotive Engineers and positions on the spare board will be filled on a weekly basis.
3) Annual Vacation will begin and end effective with the weekly crew change. Employees will automatically be booked off and on by CMC, to coincide with the weekly crew change. If one or more General Holidays fall within an employee’s annual vacation period, in all circumstances, the extra day(s) of vacation will be filled as a vacancy of less than six days for Conductors/Trainpersons and less than seven days for Locomotive Engineers.
i) Locomotive Engineers electing to take annual vacation after the scheduled vacation period, in the application of item 6, will have their turn established in the pool at 2201 on the day prior to return.
ii) Conductors/Trainpersons electing to take annual vacation after the scheduled vacation period, in the application of item 6, will have their turn established in the pool at 2201 Sunday night, effective 0001 Monday and the turn will run spare until the employee returns.
4) If one or more General Holidays fall within an employee’s annual vacation period, one of the following electives may be taken:
i) Take an extra day(s) annual vacation at the end of annual vacation period.
ii) Take an extra day(s) annual vacation prior to annual vacation period commencing.
iii) Bank a day(s) annual vacation to be taken at a later date, in conjunction with a subsequent annual vacation period to be cleared prior to the end of the current year.
iv) If election is not taken, default to (i) above.
v) If election (ii) or (iii) above are taken, CMC must be notified prior to 1400 Thursday on the week prior to the start of the annual vacation.
7) General Advertisement of Assignments will coincide with the weekly crew change and all permanent positions will be bulletined and awarded being consistent with existing practices and in line with collective agreements.
8) The company will post job abolishments, annual vacation vacancies or any other known claimable vacancies, by 1400 on Thursday at the Red Deer Terminal. A toll free number voicing these vacancies will also be made available to assist employees in this process.
9) Bulletins advertising permanent vacancies or new assignments will be posted consistent with existing practices and in line with the collective agreements. Applications for permanent vacancies or new assignments will be awarded as per collective agreements.
10) Weekly crew changes will be posted between 16:00 and 19:00 on Saturday at the Red Deer Terminal.
11) Local representatives of the company and local representatives of the Union will concur on adjustments to the pools and spare board by not later than Thursday at 1400 in accordance with the Weekly Pool Regulation Agreement. The results of any adjustments will be reflected in the weekly crew changes and the agreed upon adjustments to the pools and spare board will not be altered after the Thursday 1400 deadline.
The weekly bid system will operate in the following manner:
12) The deadline for submission of the employee’s weekly bid sheet, either new or revised, is 12:00 Saturday of each week, to be effective with the following seven-day period, commencing 0001 Monday.
13) Subject to the Collective Agreement, the latest Weekly Placement Bid Sheet on file will be used to award claimable vacancies for the following weekly crew change period.
14) Filling of vacancies will be consistent with collective agreements and will be handled at each weekly crew change in the manner outlined in item 12.
15) Employees returning from unscheduled absences of six days or more for Conductors/Trainpersons and seven days for Locomotive Engineers and whose temporary vacancy has been filled under the terms of this agreement, will notify the company of their expected date of return prior to the 1200 Saturday deadline. This employee will be placed according to their weekly bid, and in accordance with the terms of this agreement. If unable to place onto a position effective with the regular crew change, the employee’s position will run spare until the employee is actually placed onto the working position (except for unassigned Locomotive Engineers and spare board Trainpersons; their respective pools will run short until their return).
16) Conductors/Trainpersons unexpectedly returning from unscheduled absences of six days or more, and whose temporary vacancy has been filled under the terms of this agreement, and who were unable to provide notification as outlined above, will be added to their respective position in the following manner:
i) Unassigned Conductors/Trainpersons will be added to their respective pool and will only be adjusted at the next weekly crew change.
ii) Assigned Conductors/Trainpersons will be placed on their respective assignment and the bumped Conductors/Trainpersons will be handled as outlined in this article.
17) Conductors/Trainpersons who permanently vacate their assignment in accordance with Article 38.13 (ten days’ notice) that does not coincide with the weekly crew change, will be added to their respective pool and will only be adjusted at the next weekly crew change. The assigned vacancy will be run spare until the closing of the bulletin that will coincide with the weekly crew change.
18) Unassigned Locomotive Engineers returning from unscheduled absences of seven days or more and whose temporary vacancy has been filled under the terms of this agreement and who were unable to provide notification as outlined in article 14 will be added to the pool and will only be adjusted at the next weekly crew change. Assigned Locomotive Engineers will bump on to their assignment and the displaced Locomotive Engineers will be handled as outlined in this article.
19) Mid-week vacancies of six days or more for Conductors/Trainpersons and seven days for Locomotive Engineers will run spare and will be filled at the next weekly crew change. For unassigned Locomotive Engineers the turn will be removed from the pool and will only be adjusted at the next weekly crew placement.
20) If no bid exists for an employee, or if there are insufficient choices provided by the existing weekly bid, employee(s) will be placed according to the default bid provided by the local union representative. This is to be done in conjunction with the weekly crew change.
21) Employees will not be permitted to move from one permanent job to another permanent job, due to the Weekly Crew Placement Procedures Agreement.
This Memorandum of Understanding is effective on the 9th day of May 2005. Notice to review the terms of the agreement may be served via thirty (30) days written notice by either party. Should this clause be enacted, the parties will meet within seven (7) days to attempt to rectify the situation. Should the local parties be unable to rectify the situation, the matter may be referred to the General Manager and the General Chairperson for final disposition.
Dated this 21st day of April 2005.
For the Company: For the Union:
J. Stevens M. D. Ropchan
Manager Operations Local Chairman
South Edmonton TCRC - CTY
Red Deer TCRC - LE